Monday 11 February 2008

The Beginning

This is the first blog I have ever written. I'm doing this as research for Photolink Creative Group (http://www.photolink.co.uk) in Manchester where I am Commercial Director and have been for the last 5 years. With the continued evolution of the Internet Photolink recognise the importance of social media and this is my attempt to further understand it.

Last year Photolink also ventured into India for the first time (http://www.photolinkindia.com/) to launch a home shopping catalogue and website for Hypercity Argos (http://www.hypercityargos.com/). As I am learning, the Internet has been embraced by Indian communities to communicate with other rather than travelling. I can really understand this following my last few visits to Mumbai last week. It took me a good 3 hours to travel from the north to the south of the city by car. If you want a insight into India then read Holy Cow, it's a great book.

Over the next few months I aim to build dialogue with social networkers who live and breath social media and also try some of the many different sites and applications that are now available, with a view to linking all my personal contact points together on the Internet. I have set up my own Linkedin account www.linkedin.com/in/stuartowens and my own Facebook page, we are even trying to get Photolink listed on Wikipedia.

From a personal perspective I have already benefited from getting back in contact with some of my very best friends from my younger years. I think I would be a little hesitant to meet with some of them face to face now but it's great to chat online and to share pictures. It's funny how all the years in between seem to disappear.

My final thought for today is that I am trying my upmost to get back into reading. I've spent many years coming home from work, spending time with the family, eating, then watching tele and going to bed. I'm now making a conscious effort to read more. On recommendation I have just read the Kite Runner in three days. This is a captivating book that has motivated me to read more. So I'm on the look out for the next good book. I do play tennis a lot as well just in case you were thinking I'm a couch potato.

No comments: