Friday 31 October 2008

Are you being served?

We decided a few months ago that the family car was due for a change. After three years loyal service we decided that our Golf should be changed for something more family bus like (environmentally friendly of course!). Recognising the current financial climate we headed into the market place expecting to see car dealers scramble over each other for our business. How wrong were we?

I don't often name and shame but I have been so thoroughly disgusted with the level of customer service over the last two months that I have created my own top three of shamed companies (in reverse order):

Number Three - Arnold Clark Stockport
After narrowing our choice to either an MPV or Estate we headed off to our local Honda dealership in Stockport to look at the new Honda CR-V. After finally attracting the attention of a sales person I was asked what ideal vehicle I had in mind. After disappearing for 15 minutes the guy returned telling me that we couldn't afford one for our budget, making no attempt whatsoever to give me alternatives (lower spec, nearly new, etc). He seemed quite surprised when I made this suggestion and reluctantly showed me a used model outside, but again told me this was not affordable. Feeling somewhat disappointed with the whole experience I didn't further our discussions and left him to carry on with the laughing and joking he had been enjoying with the other sales guys throughout our visit.

Number Two - Autobytel
After failing at our local dealership I turned to the Internet to find some offers. Although not ideal I found an amazing deal on the Autobytel website for a new VW Passat. Eagerly I phoned the call centre, spent ten minutes giving them my personal details and p/x. The person thanked me for the call and promised a call from the relevant dealership within 10 minutes. 

6 hours later with no call, I again contacted the call centre. Unable to get through by phone and anxious not to lose out on this exceptional offer I sent them an email again detailing my requirements. By 4pm the following day I had still not received a call so again I phoned, again gave a ten minute briefing on my requirements and again receiving a call back promise in 10 minutes. 

Eventually an hour later I finally got the call from the dealership. 'Oh that's a shame Mr Owens, unfortunately that car was sold yesterday, it's a pity you didn't contact us earlier'!!!! To put it politely I explained my disappointment and received a promise that I would be contacted within the hour with another similar deal. I have never heard from Autobytel or the dealership again except for a week later a got a courtesy call from the call centre asking me for feedback on their service!

Number One - David Holmes BMW
Again after trawling the Internet I found a fantastic offer for a new BMW 3 series. I contacted the dealership and great news they had two left. I enthusiastically gave them my details, got a call back with some good finance figures and raced home to tell Claire the good news. The following day we both agreed to take time off work to visit the dealership to sign the papers. 

On the big day Claire organised for the Golf to be valeted and at lunchtime we excitedly arrived at the dealership. Greeted with a coffee we were ushered to a sales desk and met by the sales guy. All great so far...

At that point the sales guy said 'hmm, I can't seem to find your paperwork', so off he disappeared for 20 minutes, finally returning to say he had finally found some of it. After going through our details yet again he went on the system to check the new car, 'hmm (he said again!) that's strange, your car seems to have disappeared'. After waiting another 15 minutes he finally returned to tell us the car had been sold to someone else and there was not another one like it in the country. Unbelievable.

These three dealerships who must be keen for business should be ashamed of themselves.

Fortunately my saviour came from Lookers Honda Derby. After spotting a nearly new Honda CR-V (you know, the one that wasn't affordable) on the Internet I made contact with the dealership. Within 15 minutes I had a call back with a good finance quote and three days later we collected the car along with a bunch of flowers, a £25 M&S voucher and a petrol credit for making the journey.

The moral of the story for recession hit retailers, whilst you have to compete harder than ever with competitors, surely customer service is paramount to winning business and not just price.


No comments: